Thursday 25 October 2012

Bakelite Testing

I have always had a fascination with Bakelite; before I knew what it was I had realised there was different quality in plastics.  Bakelite has a certain warmth or patina to it, a wonderful weight and a certain clunky sound. 
There are certain ways to identify Bakelite, I had tried the hot water and smell test....but that left me more puzzled then before.  So I bought tubes of Simichrome Polish off eBay.  (with shipping included, it cost me $14 a tube).  I was very hesitant about testing, I was worried that everything would test negative.  Regardless, I bit the bullet and tested each item.  To my delight, 5 out of the 7 items tested positive.  The Q-Tip turned yellow (to various degrees) when rubbed on the items. 
I find it rather humours that Bakelite, a man made plastic.....is perhaps worth more then many precious metals.  J'adore Bakelite.  
Tested Positive
Q-Tips after being used on the Bakelite or other Plastics

Tested Negative



1 comment:

  1. Great tip and the pictures are helpful. I've been thinking about testing some items.

    ReplyDelete